Step #1: Get engaged to someone who reminds you of a shooting star, or the Northern Lights, the sea spread out before you like glass, or some other great natural wonder of the world. It should definitely be someone who makes you giddy on a regular basis.
Step #2: Invite some loved ones over to celebrate, and decide to make an apple tart that looks like the roses he planted for you. The roses in your backyard that never seem to stop blooming.
Step #4: Make a crust. Preheat oven to 350º. Combine 1 cup oat flour, 1 cup almond flour, and 1/3 c. melted butter (or vegan butter like Mykonos), 3 tbsp maple syrup, and a pinch or so of sea salt. Mix it all up. Press into a greased tart pan and prick all over with a fork.
Step #5: Bake the crust for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden and cooked through. Set aside.
Step #6: Peel and slice 3 granny smith apples. Slice them so thinly. As thin as you can get them. Combine the apples with the juice from one lemon, 1/2 tsp of good quality cinnamon, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, and 2 tbsp of maple syrup. Add a pinch or so of sea salt, too.
Step #7: Arrange slices, in the crust, in the shape of a flower. Start on the outside and work in. Pack the apple petals in pretty tightly. Mine wasn't packed tightly enough, so the center of my apple rose drifted a tiny bit during baking. Save the juices at the bottom of the apple bowl.
Step #8: Bake for 20 minutes. Brush with some of the remaining juice at the bottom of the bowl. Bake for another 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to cool for 20ish minutes before brushing with 1 more tbsp of maple syrup. Sprinkle with more cinnamon. Pop out of the tart pan before serving. Enjoy with champagne, or Rose Kombucha.
Step #9: Attempt to take pictures that very subtly show off your ring. Fail. Eat tart instead.
engagement apple tart
- 1 c. almond flour
- 1 c. gf oat flour
- 1/3 c. vegan or regular butter, melted (I used Mykonos Vegan Butter)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or honey or coconut sugar)
- pinch sea salt
- 1 more tbsp maple syrup
how to make
- Preheat oven to 325º. Grease tart pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, melted butter, sea salt, and maple syrup. Stir well to combine.
- Press into tart pan and spread out. Use your fingers, take your time, make sure you don't get dough in your engagement ring. Make the crust a tad thinner than you would think. Prick all over with a fork. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until pale yet cooked through. Set aside.
- Combine apple slices with lemon, 2 tbsp maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Arrange apple slices in overlapping circles to create your apple flower. Start at the outside and work your way in. Save the juice at the bottom of the apple bowl.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Brush with some of the remaining juice. Bake for another 20 minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust is golden.
- Allow to cool for 20ish minutes before brushing with remaining 1 tbsp maple syrup, and sprinkle with a titch more cinnamon.
Hi! If we haven't met yet, I'm Marielle, aka The Detroit Health Coach. I'm here to help women just like you live happier and healthier lives. I specialize in weight management, inflammation reduction, and emotional eating. Want to work together? Click here.
I'm powered by tea and passion, and I'm on a ten thousand woman mission to change the world. Let's be friends!